Hello sweet peas,
I did some baking today because I was bored of doing admin work for dad. We have so many recipe books in our house so I grabbed one and flicked through but I was feeling uninspired. Instead I found a basic cupcake recipe and looked in our food cupboards and came up with my own recipe: rum and salted chocolate cupcakes. A classic cupcake with a small kick.
Recipe: Makes 12. 20 mins preparation, 15-20 mins baking.
- 110g self-raising flour.
- 110g super fine caster sugar.
- 110g softened unsalted butter.
- 2 large eggs.
- 2 tablespoons of rum (or a little more if you fancy a party).
- 60g icing sugar.
- 60g softened unsalted butter.
- 8 squares of dark chocolate (or any other type, it doesn’t matter).
- A couple pinches of salt.
1. First of all, preheat the oven at 190 degrees.
2. Simply enough sieve the flour and sugar into a bowl adding the butter and eggs and whisking well until smooth. Then add the rum and stir that in also making sure the mixture has no lumps.
You have the opportunity here now to add your own twist to this simple recipe, adding cocoa powder or vanilla essence instead of rum.
3. Afterwards fill each of your cupcake holders with the mixture. Do not put too much in because the self-raising flour will do the work for you. Then put them in the oven and set a timer for 15-20 minutes.
4. Whilst they are baking, break up the chocolate squares and microwave them for 1 minute 30 until it is nice and runny. Add the icing sugar, butter and salt to the melted chocolate and stir until you have a smooth chocolatey cupcake filling.
5. Once they are ready, take the cupcakes out of the oven and leave them to cool for 15 minutes on a wire rack. Then slice each cake down the middle, spread the chocolate filling and stick them back together. For final touches, sprinkle some icing sugar on top.
And that is it- simple but super tasty. I love baking but never do it enough so this summer I will bake more and post recipes on here like I have done today.
Love Poppy x